A DESIGN PROCEDURE FOR PRACTICAL SUBDIVISION OF TANKERS SATISFYING IMCO REGULATIONS
The computer can be of much assistance in developing a good layout for the cargo/ballast region of a tanker, more especially since the IMCO anti-pollution regulations contained in the 1973 Convention have complicated tanker-design. The Authors describes a computer method, developed at the University of Trondheim, for quickly modifying a proposed tanker topology into a feasible solution (if this is possible) and for improving it. In this method, the bulkhead positions are altered with the object of finding a ship layout compatible with IMCO regulations and other requirements such as trim, draught, and longitudinal strength (in the load and ballast conditions) and at the same time maximising the cargo capacity. The optimisation algorithm is based on the general nonlinear programming method SUMT (Sequential Unconstrained Minimisation Technique--see Abstract No. 43,935, Oct. 1976). See also Abstract No. 35,891 (Dec. 1973). Good practical solutions are normally obtained by consecutive improvements based on insight gained from the preceding computer runs and the designer's ideas and judgement. The paper includes some numerical examples of the method as applied to the layout of a segregated-ballast tanker of about 500,000 dwt.
- Preprints of International Conference on Computer Applications in the Automation of Shipyard Operation and Ship Design (ICCAS), Gothenburg, June 1976.
North-Holland Publishing Company52 Vanderbilt Avenue
New York, NY USA 10017
- Lorentz, J D
- Kavlie, D
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Ships); Computer aided design; Pollution; Pollution control; Regulations; Subdivisions; Tanker shipping; Tankers
- Identifier Terms: International Maritime Consultative organization
- Old TRIS Terms: Imco pollution regulations; Segregated ballast tankers; Tanker pollution prevention; Tanker subdivision
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Law; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00148464
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1977 12:00AM