AUTOMATED VISCOMETER SAVES LABORATORY MANPOWER
Manpower requirement for kinematic viscosity determination at 100 and 210 degrees F at Mobil's Paulsboro Laboratory has been cut from three full-time technicians to less than one-half of one man. This 83% reduction was brought about by the development of a completely automatic viscometer to replace the manual ASTM D445 test. The instrument, which meets ASTM standards of accuracy, runs unattended through two twelve-hour cycles each day. Some important features of the instrument are: Automatic feeder holding 30 samples; Automatic selection of capillary; Ability to handle a wide range of fiscosities; Detectors unaffected by color or opacity of samples; Automatic calculation and printing of results.
- This paper was presented at the 1975 National Petroleum Refiners Association Annual Meeting, March 23-25, 1975, San Antonio, Texas.
National Petroleum Refiners Association1725 DeSales Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Lifland, P P
- Glass, J R
- Korbin, R P
- Publication Date: 1976-12-17
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Deployment; Testing equipment; Viscometers; Viscosity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Laboratory equipment
- Old TRIS Terms: Kinematic viscosity
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00148421
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Rpt. No. AM-75-39
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 15 1977 12:00AM