STUDIES OF FREIGHT TRAIN ENGINEER PERFORMANCE
As a part of the International Government-Industry Program on Track Train Dynamics, the performance of engineers in freight train handling was studied by recording and analyzing train operations and engineer responses under field conditions. Data collection took place during regular revenue freight operations over five representative railroads containing varied terrain and operating conditions. Data collection was accomplished by using a digital data aquisition system specifically designed for this study. Levels of engineer performance was evaluated through the use of an objective rating form specifically designed for this study. Scores on this form was correlated with digitally recorded data. Engineers were found to consistently respond to changes in locomotive drawbar force as indicated on the cab loadmeter. Higher-rated engineers tended to make fewer and more accurate responses than lower-rated engineers. No systematic pattern of response to cab accelerations was found, nor was a systematic change in smoothness of performance revealed over the length of a trip. Frequency of the use of various controls was found to depend more on railroad terrain and procedures then on indicidual engineer skills.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/TSC642
- Research was sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, DOT.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Sussman, E D
- Ofsevit, D
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Control devices; Data collection; Human factors; Instrumentation; Locomotive engineers; Locomotive operation; Locomotive operations; Locomotives; Train operations; Train track dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Locomotive controls; Locomotive engineer's tasks
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00148276
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- ISBN: TSC-642
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OR&D-76-306 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM