DEVELOPMENT OF A STRUCTURAL MODEL AND MATERIALS EVALUATION PROCEDURES - BALLAST AND FOUNDATION MATERIALS RESEARCH PROGRAM
An adequate engineering analysis of conventional railway track support system (CRTSS) requires the consideration of all the major components of the track support system. Past efforts in this area have not been satisfactory because of lack of proper material characterization and very simplified modelling of the CRTSS. An attempt has been made to model the CRTSS using the finite element method that would allow a determination of the transient response of the CRTSS by incorporating proper material characterization. Because of the complex three-dimensional geometry, the analytical modelling was divided into two stages; namely, a longitudinal analysis stage and a transverse analysis stage. Stress dependent material properties of the ballast, the subballast, and the subgrade can be used with the finite element method. The finite element model has been validated using the measured response at Section 9 of the Kansas Test Track. Good agreement was obtained between the measured response and that calculated using the finite element model. The report also describes ballast and subgrade materials evaluation procedures. The repeated load triaxial testing procedure that has been selected for evaluating the resilient and permanent deformation characteristics of ballast and subgrade soil materials is described in detail.
- Record URL:
- Research sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, DOT, and the Association of American Railroads.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignAdvanced Transportation Research and Engineering Laboratory, 1611 Titan Drive
Rantoul, IL United States 61866
- Robnett, Q L
- Thompson, M R
- Knutson, R M
- Tayabji, S D
- Publication Date: 1975-11-21
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 97 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Finite element method; Mathematical models; Railroad tracks; Soil mechanics; Soil tests; Subballast; Subgrade (Pavements); Tests; Train track dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Track response investigations; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00148272
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D-76-255 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30038
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM