STRENGTH AND STIFFNESS OF REINFORCED RECTANGULAR COLUMNS UNDER BIAXALLY ECCENTRIC THRUST
Compression tests on nine reinforced concrete rectangular columns subjected to constant thrust and biaxially eccentric moments were conducted at the off-campus research facility of the University of Texas, the Civil Engineering Structures Laboratory at Balcones Research Center. The complex nature of biaxially eccentric thrust and biaxially eccentric deformation is discussed briefly. It is the purpose of this study to report the results of tests performed on the 5 in. x 9 in. rectangular columns. Load measurements, lateral displacements, and longitudinal deformations were monitored through the middle 30 in. length of the 72 in. long specimens. All columns were reinforced identically with a reinforcement ratio equal to 0.011. The flexural strength of cross sections could be predicted adequately by an elliptical function of ratios between biaxial moment components and uniaxial moment capacities. The ACI recommendation that for skew bending, each component of moment should be magnified according to the stiffness about each principal axis of bending appeared to be a reliable technique only for thrust levels above 40 percent of the short column strength. This report is the first interim report on Project 3-5-73-7 (Federal No. HPR-1(14)), "Design Parameters for Columns in Bridge Bents."
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation and conducted in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Highway Research, 200 West 21st Street
Austin, TX United States 78712
- Desai, J A
- Furlong, R W
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Columns; Compression tests; Eccentricity; Reinforced concrete; Stiffness; Strength of materials; Thrust
- Old TRIS Terms: Eccentrics
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00147717
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CFHR 3-5-73-7-1 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Resh Stdy 3-5-73-7
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM