LOCOMOTIVE CAB DESIGN DEVELOPMENT. VOLUME 1: ANALYSIS OF LOCOMOTIVE CAB ENVIRONMENT & DEVELOPMENT OF CAB DESIGN ALTERNATIVES
This report presents an analysis of the line haul freight engineer's working and living environment, the resultant locomotive cab design and design alternatives. The analysis is based on a delineation of functional requirements found in current line haul operations together with those additional requirements which could arise during the next 10-15 years. The recommended design is the result of a detailed human factors engineering analysis of these requirements according to state-of-the-art criteria and system design practices. Substantial engineering analysis was devoted to the recommended design; this included disciplines of cost, occupant protection, component and subsystem reliability, and system safety analysis.
- Research was sponsored by the DOT, FRA, Office of Research and Development, under contract to the Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Boeing Vertol CompanySurface Transportation Systems Department, P.O. Box 16858
Philadelphia, PA USA 19142
- Robinson, J
- PICCIONE, D
- Lamers, G
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 206 p.
- TRT Terms: Cabs (Vehicle compartments); Control devices; Crashworthiness; Design; Human factors; Line haul; Locomotive engineers; Locomotive operation; Locomotives; Prototypes; Safety; Safety engineering
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive cab crashworthiness; Locomotive cab design; Locomotive cab safety; Locomotive controls; Locomotive engineer's tasks
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00147702
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OR&D-76/275.1 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM