NORTHEAST CORRIDOR HIGH SPEED RAIL PASSENGER SERVICE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT. TASK 16: ELECTRIFICATION SYSTEMS AND STANDARDS
This report studies catenary systems for the 150 mile/h train service proposed for the Northeast Corridor with electrification at 25 kV 60 Hz. Following a review of high speed catenaries, a computer simulation is used to show that current collection by multiple unit trains fitted with existing pantographs, running under existing catenaries between Washington and New Haven, will be satisfactory only at temperatures typically within the range 40 degrees F to 90 degrees F. Some deterioration will occur outside this range. Recommendations include minor modifications to catenaries between Washington and New York, and between Stamford and New Haven; major changes to the catenary between New York and Stamford, and development of pantograph with improved dynamic performance. An autotensioned compound catenary with 210 foot spans is proposed for new 150 mile/h electrification between New Haven and Boston. The levels of interference with trackside communication and signal circuits have been computed, showing that existing mitigation measures are inadequate. Possible improvements are discussed and further study is recommended. The power demand of proposed traffic is analyzed and recommendations made for the power supply network. Finally, estimated costs of associated engineering and construction worl for catenary and power supply are provided.
- See also PB-257584. Project Office.
Electrack Incorporated2414 Morris Avenue
Union, NJ United States 07083
- Pehrson, V W
- Shaw, P L
- Suddards, A D
- Willetts, T A
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 387 p.
- TRT Terms: Catenaries (Railroads); Electric power generation and transmission; Electric power supply; Electromagnetic interference; High speed rail; Inductive interference; Multiple unit trains; Pantographs; Planning; Railroad electrification; Signaling; Telecommunications
- Geographic Terms: Northeast Corridor; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Electric power collection
- Subject Areas: Energy; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00147701
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/NECPO-76/19 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-40032
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM