EVALUATION OF ANALYTICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL METHODOLOGIES FOR THE CHARACTERIZATION OF WHEEL/RAIL LOADS
This report has been prepared as part of the Improved Track Structures Research Program sponsored by the Office of Rail Safety Research of the Federal Railroad Administration. The major modes of track degradation have been reviewed to identify the significant wheel/rail loading mechanisms. Analytical models for vehicle/track interaction have been selected for predicting the loads in appropriate formats for each of the major modes of track degradation. This report also evaluates the data required to validate the analytical procedures, and both track and vehicle-borne instrumentation are reviewed for fulfilling these requirements. Available data on wheel/rail loads have been used to assemble a preliminary statistical characterization for interim use.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/RR619R6365T
- Research was sponsored by the FRA under contract to the Transportation Systems Center, DOT, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
ITT Research Institute10 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Ahlback, D R
- Harrison, H D
- PRAUSE, R H
- Johnson, M R
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 261 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle load force; Car wheels (Railroads); Deterioration; Dynamics; Force; Instrumentation; Mathematical models; Measuring instruments; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Train track dynamics; Wheel loads; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Track deterioration; Track response investigations; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00147592
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- ISBN: RR619/R-6365T
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D-76-276 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1051
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM