LINEAR INDUCTION MOTOR RESEARCH VEHICLE REACTION RAIL EDGE EFFECT INVESTIGATION. THE EFFECT OF RAIL SLOTTING
The purpose of this investigation was to obtain full-scale linear induction motor performance data with a slotted reaction rail. The motor thrust characteristics were determined with two different airgap widths at each of two different slot pitches. Test results showed essentially no variation in motor thrust characteristics with a slotted vs. an unslotted reaction rail. On the basis of this investigation (35 separate test runs were performed) it is concluded that slotting the reaction rail does not enhance LIM performance. This is a significant finding because slotting increases the cost of reaction rail fabrication.
- Research sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development.
AiResearch Manufacturing Company2525 West 190th Street
Torrance, CA USA 90509
- Powell, R B
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic efficiency; Intelligent transportation systems; Propulsion; Reaction rails; Test vehicles; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Propulsion systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems
- Subject Areas: Economics; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00147576
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D-72-263 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-40016
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 2003 12:00AM