DESIGN CRITERIA FOR ELEVATED TRANSPORTATION STRUCTURES AND MODAL EXCHANGE FACILITIES
Investigations and evaluations of existing elevated transportation systems were made to establish new guidelines and design standards for elevated transportation structures and modal exchange facilities. These criteria may be used to improve the physical condition of existing elevated systems and reduce their negative environmental impact on wayside areas. Prototypical renovations of existing transit structures and station areas are presented showing ways in which the new design standards may be applied to improve existing transit systems. Also, a prototypical elevated structure and a prototypical modal exchange facility are presented to demonstrate an application of the design criteria to hypothetical situations.
University of Illinois, ChicagoP.O. Box 4348
Chicago, IL USA 60680
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Gelick, M S
- Orseske, R J
- SILVER, M L
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Elevated structures; Environmental impacts; Escalators; Facilities; Passenger terminals; Rail transit facilities; Rail transit stations; Railroad bridges; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Rapid transit; Structural design; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Interaction
- Old TRIS Terms: Mechanical guides; Passenger station design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00147314
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TST-76/46 Res. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-30092
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 15 1981 12:00AM