THE OPERATION AND MANAGEMENT OF THE SHIRLEY HIGHWAY EXPRESS BUS-ON-FREEWAY DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
In September 1970, UMTA approved a demonstration grant to the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission to design and implement transit service on an 11 mile exclusive busway from suburban Virginia to downtown Washington, D.C. The grant also called for development of fringe parking lots to serve the exclusive lanes. The success of the project both in terms of ridership and fare box revenues has been widely recognized in the transit industry. This document reports on the project from the viewpoint of the project sponsor. Thus, the report contains information which in all probability could not be obtained from other sources and which would not ordinarily be reported in any technical evaluation of the project. Also included in the report are some of the marketing and merchandising activities that contributed to the public's awareness and acceptance of the express lane concept.
- Prepared in cooperation with Smith and Locke Associates, Inc., Washington, D.C.
Northern Virginia Transportation Commission2009 North 14th Street, Suite 300
Arlington, VA USA 22201
Smith and Locke Associates Incorporated500 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20024
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 113 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus lanes; Buses; Demonstration projects; Express buses; Fares; Freeways; Fringe parking; Marketing; Parking facilities; Public transit; Revenues; Ridership; Traffic engineering; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: Virginia; Washington (District of Columbia)
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00147295
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0024-76-1 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-IT-06-0024
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 15 1981 12:00AM