A NEW WAVE-WIND CHANNEL FOR FLUID DYNAMICS RESEARCH AT THE NAVAL RESEARCH LABORATORY
A new multipurpose wave-wind channel facility has been constructed for use in the support of on-going fluid dynamics research programs at the Naval Research Laboratory. This facility has been designed to accommodate experiments ranging from the study of wind and wave effects on ocean structures to the dynamic interactions between the wind and ocean waves. The channel has been equipped initially with a mechanically-driven regular wave generator and a wind tunnel for the generation of wind waves. The laboratory facility, the wave channel and wave generators, and the research programs for which the laboratory has been constructed are described in this report.
Naval Research Laboratory4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20375-5320
- Griffin, O M
- Wright, J W
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Air water interfaces; Data collection; Fluid dynamics; Force; Laboratories; Ocean waves; Oceans; Radar; Waves; Wind; Wind tunnels; Wind waves
- Old TRIS Terms: Air water interactions; Model testing; Oceanographic data; Wave forces on structures; Wave generators
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00147256
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NRL-MR-3352 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM