EXPERIMENTAL DETERMINATION OF UNSTEADY FORCES ON CONTRAROTATING PROPELLERS IN UNIFORM FLOW
This report reviews the development of equipment and procedures for the measurement of unsteady forces and moments on contrarotating propellers in the 24-inch water tunnel and presents the results from 4 x 4 and 4 x 5 bladed propeller sets in uniform flow. A serious problem encountered was that of maintaining the two propellers in a constant phase relationship. The unsteady thrust and torque measured on a 4 x 4 propeller set and the unsteady side forces and bending moments measured on a 4 x 5 set in both cases were larger on the forward propeller. A recently developed program for computing unsteady loading on contrarotating propellers was used to calculate values for the experimental conditions.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterShip Performance Department
Bethesda, MD USA 20084
- Miller, Marc L
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Contrarotating propellers; Equipment tests; Force; Hydrodynamics; Measurement; Methodology; Moments (Mechanics); Propellers; Rotation; Test procedures; Water tunnels
- Old TRIS Terms: Force mechanics; Inequalities; Marine propellers; Moments; Phase; Test equipment; Twin screws; Unsteady loading
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00146963
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SPD-659-01
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM