ADVANCED PHYSICAL PROTECTION SYSTEMS FOR FACILITIES AND TRANSPORTATION
Sandia Laboratories is developing advanced physical protection safeguards in order to improve the security of special nuclear materials, facilities, and transportation. Computer models are being used to assess the cost-effectiveness of alternative systems for protecting facilities against external attack which may include internal assistance, and against internal theft or sabotage. Physical protection elements such as admittance controls, portals and detectors, perimeter and interior intrusion alarms, fixed and remotely activated barriers, and secure communications are being evaluated, adapted, and where required, developed. New facilities safeguards concepts which involve ''control loops'' between physical protection and materials control elements are being evolved jointly between Sandia Laboratories and Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory. Special vehicles and digital communications equipment have been developed for the ERDA safe-secure transportation system. The current status and direction of these activities are surveyed.
- 17th Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, Seattle, Washington, 32 June 1976.
Sandia LaboratoriesP.O. Box 5800
Albuquerque, NM USA 87115
Energy Research and Development Administration20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Jones, O E
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Computer programs; Costs; Equipment; Freight transportation; Loss and damage; Nuclear power plants; Protection; Radioactive materials; Radioactive materials; Reviews; Risk analysis; Sabotage; Security; Transportation; Vandalism
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Nuclear facilities; Physical protection devices
- Subject Areas: Security and Emergencies; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00146710
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CONF-760615-8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM