LATERAL DISTRIBUTION OF WHEEL LOADS IN A PRESTRESSED CONCRETE I-BEAM BRIDGE
A two-span, prestressed concrete beam-slab highway bridge was built and tested at the Pennsylvania Transportation Research Facility of The Pennsylvania State University. One 60-foot span was constructed with a conventional reinforced deck, and the other 60-foot span was constructed with a composite deck of precast, prestressed concrete planks and a cast-in-place reinforced concrete topping. The bridge was tested using standard highway vehicles. Lateral load distribution was studied using the FHWA HS-20 test vehicle. All tests were conducted with the vehicle crossing the structure at crawl speeds. Instrumentation was provided to monitor beam deflections, beam strains, and deck strains. This report covers the lateral load distribution studies on the bridge, and compares the behavior of the two different spans. Distribution factors derived from field measurements for interior beams compared favorably with those used in the design. Test results indicated that full composite action was developed between the bridge decks and parapets for both spans, which resulted in distribution factors for exterior beams which were 45 percent greater than design values.
- Interim Report No. 3. Transportation, Harrisburg. Bureau of Materials, Testing and Research.
Pennsylvania State University, University ParkPennsylvania Transportation Institute, Transportation Research Building
University Park, PA United States 16802
Harrisburg, PA United States 17112
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Orndorff, JAJ
- Barnoff, R M
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Bridge decks; Bridge members; Composite construction; Concrete bridges; Dynamic loads; Field tests; I beams; Length; Load transfer; Loads; Prestressed concrete; Prestressing; Wheel loads
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bridge spans; Lateral pressure
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00146508
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PT1-7523, No. 3 Intrm Rpt., FHWA/PA-71/8/3
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM