DYNAMIC BEHAVIOR OF PRETENSIONED HAWAIIAN AGGREGATE CONCRETE BEAMS
The purpose of this report is to study the dynamic behavior of prestressed concrete beams made with lightweight Hawaiian aggregate concrete and to determine whether the use of lightweight Hawaiian concrete is advisable for primary structural members. Tests were performed on prestressed concrete beams made with four different types of aggregates--two lightweight and two normal weight. The beams were tested under cyclic impact loads. The applied load, reaction, deflection, and acceleration-time histories were recorded. This study compares the dynamic response of the lightweight and normal weight prestressed concrete beams. A single-degree of freedom system numerical method for calculation of the dynamic displacement-time history using the static load-deflection relationship is presented. Based on the results of this study, it is concluded that when subjected to dynamic loads, prestressed concrete beams made with lightweight Hawaiian concrete behave comparably with prestressed concrete beams made with normal weight concrete. The single-degree of freedom system method of analysis predicts the deflection-time history of the beam with satisfactory results. On the basis of this study, prestressed concrete beams made with lightweight Hawaiian aggregate concrete are recommended for primary structural use.
- Sponsored in part by Hawaii State Div. of Highways, Honolulu. See also PB-259 968.
University of Hawaii, ManoaDepartment of Civil Engineering, 2540 Dole Street, Holmes Hall 383
Honolulu, HI USA 96822
Washington, DC USA 20590
Honolulu, HI USA 96813
- Fong, SKL
- Hamada, H S
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 161 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Degrees of freedom; Dislocation (Geology); Dynamic loads; Lightweight concrete; Loads; Prestressed concrete; Prestressing; Repeated loads; Sand; Structural members
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response
- Geographic Terms: Hawaii
- Old TRIS Terms: Beams (Support)
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00146506
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CE76-R2 Final Rpt., FHWA/RD-76-S0549
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM