MINIMIZING CONSTRUCTION PROBLEMS IN SEGMENTALLY PRECAST BOX GIRDER BRIDGES
The cantilever construction of the first segmental precast prestressed concrete box girder bridge in the United States has been completed on the John F. Kennedy Memorial Causeway, Corpus Christi, Texas. The segments were precast, transported to the site, and erected by the balanced cantilever method of post-tensioned construction, using epoxy resin as a jointing material. This report documents major steps in construction of such a structure with emphasis on detailing lessons learned during the construction which might facilitate or improve similar projects. Many of these are seemingly trivial or obvious, but they were not necessarily such when first encountered. Suggestions involving design and detailing to improve constructability are made based on the Corpus Christi bridge experience. Similarly, recommendations for various steps and procedures in fabrication, casting, erection, and closure are made. An extensive summary is provided of an explanatory investigation of the cause of, and suitable control measures for, web cracking which occurred in some of the units. Cracks similar to those noted in the prototype construction were reproduced in laboratory tests. Several crack prevention or control measures, such as extra stirrups, concentric spirals, and vertical post-tensioning are investigated. The model tests revealed that the cracking load could be increased to a level substantially above the design prestress forces.
- Sponsored in part by Texas State Dept. of Highways and Public Transportation, Austin. Transportation Planning Div.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Highway Research, 200 West 21st Street
Austin, TX USA 78712
Washington, DC USA 20590
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX USA 78763
- Breen, J E
- Cooper, R L
- Gallaway, T M
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 281 p.
- TRT Terms: Box girders; Bridge design; Bridges; Cantilevers; Construction; Construction joints; Construction management; Cracking; Epoxy resins; Fracture mechanics; Girder bridges; Girders; Joints (Engineering); Posttensioning; Precast concrete; Prestressed concrete; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Model tests
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Joint
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00146493
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CFHR-3-5-69-121-6F Res. Rpt., FHWA-RD-76-S0544
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM