AUTOMATION OF THE SCHONFELD METHOD OF HIGHWAY SURFACE TEXTURE CODE ASSIGNMENT. VOLUME IV. PROFILE CLASSIFICATION TECHNIQUE
In Phase I of the research project, it was demonstrated that the Schonfeld method of surface texture classification could be automated by electronically digitizing stereophotographs of the actual surface and then performing a computer analysis on the digital surface data. However, while it is possible to collect the necessary pavement data on-board a moving vehicle, due to the off-line digitizing and considerable computer processing required, this approach is not readily adaptable for real time implementation. Phase II of this research project involved an investigation into the feasibility of automating the Schonfeld method using considerably less pavement data in the form of single line profiles rather than the complete surface description. A single line profile classification algorithm was developed from which surface statistics and Schonfeld parameters, equivalent to those obtained from the three-dimensional classification technique, could be calculated. This was applied to fourteen samples covering a wide range of bituminous pavements and the feasibility of using a single line profile technique for obtaining surface characteristics and the corresponding Schonfeld parameters was demonstrated.
- See also report dated Aug 75, PB-254 829. Sponsored in part by Maryland State Highway Administration, Brooklandville. Bureau of Research.(PC A09/MF A01)
ENSCO, Incorporated5400 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA United States 22151
Baltimore, MD United States 21202
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Howerter, E D
- Rudd, T J
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 176 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Automation; Bituminous pavements; Classification; Digital computers; Flexible pavements; Highways; Information processing; Measurement; Pavements; Recording; Roughness; Skid resistance; Statistical analysis; Stereoscopic cameras; Texture
- Uncontrolled Terms: Profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Digital recording; Stereoscopic photography
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00146465
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/MD/R-76/8D Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM