A CRASHWORTHINESS ANALYSIS WITH EMPHASIS ON THE FIRE HAZARD: U.S. AND SELECTED FOREIGN TURBINE AIRCRAFT ACCIDENTS, 1964-1974
An analysis of 382 impact-survivable/substantial damage turbine aircraft accidents and incidents which occurred during the 11-year period from 1964 through 1974 was performed as part of an overall study of the interrelationship of aircraft crashworthiness and airport crash fire-rescue services. The analysis included 343 accidents and incidents which occurred in the U.S. and 39 outside the U.S. Crashworthiness data were obtained from accidents both in and outside the U.S. The U. S. accidents also provided data for an airport crash fire-rescue service analysis. The crashworthiness analysis indicated that 94.9 percent of the fatalities in world-wide U.S. air carrier impact-survivable accidents resulted from accidents where fire occurred. Fire and its effects were estimated to be the cause of: (1) forty percent of the fatalities; (2) fatal injuries to 23.3 percent of the occupants in survivable/fatal accidents; and (3) a reduction in survivability, from 65.2 percent to 41.9 percent, of the occupants in survivable/fatal accidents. The status of FAA crashworthiness R and D programs directed toward the development of aircraft fire protective measures is described to focus on efforts being taken to reduce the fire hazard. (Author)
- Horeff, T G
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 167 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Aircraft crashes; Airports; Aviation safety; Bibliographies; Civil aircraft; Crashworthiness; Escape systems; Evacuation; Explosions; Fatalities; Fire causes; Fire fighting; Fire fighting equipment; Fire prevention; Fires; Fuel tanks; Impacts; Injuries; Jet engine fuels; Jet transports; Passenger aircraft; Prevention; Protection; Search and rescue operations; Survival; Tables (Data); Vehicle occupant rescue
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aircraft safety; Fire suppression systems; Inert materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft fires
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00146419
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-75-156 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM