LOS ANGELES AND LONG BEACH HARBORS MODEL STUDY: REPORT 3. ANALYSES OF WAVE AND SHIP MOTION DATA
This report describes the procedures and presents the results of analyses of prototype ship motion and wave data collected in the Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors during a 1-yr data acquisition program. In the ship motion analyses, observations of ship characteristics, movement, and mooring line configurations/characteristics are statistically analyzed for various time distributions and concurrences of movement. For various ships and mooring configurations in the East Channel of Los Angeles Harbor, a numerical analysis of moored ship response to wave excitation is conducted to define the periods or frequency ranges of maximum surge response. In the analysis of wave data, estimates of wave energy for wave periods ranging from 15 sec to 3 hr are calculated from the prototype wave data by spectral analyses. Time-dependent spectral estimates are calculated for 10 time periods during which concurrences of medium and/or heavy ship movement occurred. From such spectral techniques, frequency bands containing significant energy levels are identified for 15 wave gage locations in the two harbors. In addition to identifying characteristic frequency bands of wave energy for each gage, the time variation of energy levels within each frequency band and the distribution and/or penetration of swell throughout the harbors are estimated. Observations of adverse ship motion are correlated with time variations of energy levels in characteristic frequency bands. Subjective analyses of analog wave records are conducted to provide indications of frequency of occurrence and wave-height distributions for previously identified wave periods having maximum energy (wave heights).
- See also Rept. no. AEWES-TR-H-75-4-5, AD-A016 904.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS USA 39180-6199
- Durham, D L
- THOMPSON, J K
- Outlaw, D G
- Crosby, L G
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 463 p.
- TRT Terms: Calculation; Data collection; Dynamic loads; Energy levels; Excitation; Field tests; Harbors; Marine engineering; Measuring instruments; Mooring; Moorings; Oscillation; Power spectra; Prototypes; Radio frequency; Ship motion; Statistical analysis; Structural models; Surges (Fluid mechanics); Water waves
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation; Frequency bands
- Geographic Terms: California; Los Angeles (California)
- Old TRIS Terms: Field conditions; Harbor models; Response; Surge; Surges
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Data and Information Technology; Energy; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00146326
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES-TR-H-75-4-3 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM