A STUDY OF THE EFFECTS OF STREAM CHANNELIZATION AND BANK STABILIZATION ON WARMWATER SPORT FISH IN IOWA: SUBPROJECT NUMBER 2. A STUDY OF THE IMPACT OF SELECTED BANK STABILIZATION STRUCTURES ON GAME FISH AND ASSOCIATED ORGANISMS
Four types of bank stabilization structures installed mainly for highway protection--revetments, retards, permeable jetties, and impermeable jetties--were studied during the summer and fall of 1974 to determine their impact upon game fish habitat in Iowa streams. Stream width, depth, current velocity, water temperature, and turbidity were measured. Permeable jetties and retards deepened the channel near the structures. No other significant differences in physical parameters between structured and non-structured sections of stream were found.
- Sponsored in part by Iowa State Conservation Commission, Des Moines. See also PB-257 429.
Iowa Cooperative Fishery UnitAmes, IA United States 50010
Department of the InteriorFish and Wildlife Service
Washington, DC United States
Iowa State Conservation CommissionDes Moines, IA United States 50319
- Witten, A L
- Bulkley, R V
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Bank protection; Banks (Waterways); Benthos; Channel stabilization; Channels (Waterways); Construction; Depth; Embankments; Fisheries; Fishes; Flow; Fresh water; Geomorphology; Highways; Impact studies; Jetties; Retaining walls; Stability (Mechanics); Streamflow; Streams; Turbidity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Stream channels
- Geographic Terms: Iowa
- Old TRIS Terms: Catfishes; Diptera; Embankment stability; Skunk river; Soldier river
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00146082
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FWS/OBS-76/12
- Contract Numbers: DI-14-16-0008-745
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM