AIRCRAFT CONFIGURATION NOISE REDUCTION. VOLUME I. ENGINEERING ANALYSIS
This report discusses use of wing and fuselage structures as noise barriers for shielding aircraft engine noise from the community. The report concerns use of favorable aircraft configurations for community noise reduction of turbojet and turbofan powered aircraft. Significant noise reduction potential is illustrated on a hypothetical engine-over-wing (EOW) configuration using high-bypass-ratio turbofan engines. Noise shielding estimation procedures are developed for two types of configuration noise reduction concepts; i.e., the EOW and the engine-over-fuselage (EOF). Results are described for a theoretical analysis, a major Boeing/Aeritalia test program, and an empirical analysis of test data. As a result, analytical prediction procedures are defined, computerized, and added to the software previously developed under NASA contract NAS2-6969. The shielding prediction procedures consider individual noise components: inlet fan, compressor, exit fan, core, turbine, and jet noise. A new source, jet/edge interaction noise, can also be predicted using the procedures. The collective software, incorporating the shielding package of this report, can be used to estimate community noise levels of wing and fuselage shielded turbofan or turbojet noise. This report is presented in three volumes. Volume 1 contains the engineering analysis. Volume 2 contains a User's Guide for computer programs and other appendices. Volume 3 contains the complete computer program listing. (Author)
- See also Volume 2, AD-A030 656.
Boeing CompanyP.O. Box 3707, Commercial Airplane Group
Seattle, WA USA 98124
- Dunn, D G
- Butzel, L M
- DiBlasi, A
- Filler, L
- Jacobs, L D
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 412 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft noise; Civil aircraft; Computer programs; Engines; Fuselages; Jet engines; Noise; Noise control; Shape; Turbofan engines; Wings (Aircraft)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Configuration; Noise reduction; Shielding
- Old TRIS Terms: Bypass engines; Jet engine noise
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00146021
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-76-76-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA74WA-3497
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM