CONICAL FACE-SEAL FOR AN ELECTRICAL FEEDTHROUGH
The patent describes a face seal for an electrical feedthrough in a bulkhead subject to large differential pressures, comprising a metallic bolt routed through a hole in the bulkhead; an electrical conductor soldered to the head of the bolt on the high pressure side of the bulkhead; an epoxy-resin seal molded around and bonded to the protruding head of the bolt and having a conical undersurface mating with the bulkhead so that a thin ring forms the interface between the epoxy seal and the bulkhead; and, a nut screwed on to the threaded end of the bolt on the low pressure side of the bulkhead. The thin ring interface between the epoxy seal and the bulkhead deforms when the epoxy seal is subjected to external pressure so that the seal pressure is amplified.
- This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, D.C. 20231 $0.50.
Department of the NavyWashington, DC USA
- Davis, S
- Cheever, D C
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Electrical conductivity; Electrical wiring; Epoxy resins; Fittings; Patents; Permeability; Pressure; Seals (Devices)
- Uncontrolled Terms: High pressure
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulkheads; Plastic seals; Seal design; Watertight fittings
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00145684
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-637 450 Patent
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM