PREFORMED ELASTOMERIC JOINT SEALERS FOR BRIDGES. PHASE I: SEALED BRIDGE JOINTS DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION AND EVALUATION
In this report with its three supplements a proven effective solution is provided to the problem of sealing joints in bridge decks. At the heart of the solution is the use of specially designed joint armor in combination with currently available preformed elastomeric sealers. The approach recommended is adequate for simple span, composite, concrete and steel structures with span lengths up to 170 feet. The special armored joint system was field tested on three structures. Two of these structures were monitored both manually and with automatic instrumentation to determine the causes and range of magnitudes of bridge end movements. The latter two structures were also tested for leakage with dyes at periodic intervals over a five year time span. The third structure was used to conduct load tests on the joint armor and armor anchorage components. The results of these various monitoring and testing efforts established useful air temperature-movement relationships for bridges, the value of a composite, simple span structures thermal coefficient of expansion, and insite into the load carrying requirements for joint armor.
- See also report dated Apr. 76, PB-258998.
Trenton, NJ USA 08625
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Kozlov, G S
- Cosaboom, B
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Pagination: 145 p.
- TRT Terms: Anchors (Structural connectors); Bridge decks; Bridge design; Bridges; Concrete pavements; Construction joints; Design; Dyes; Elastomers; Fasteners; Highway bridges; Joint sealers; Joints (Engineering); Leakage; Load tests; Loads; Marking materials; Monitoring; Performance tests; Reinforced concrete; Structural analysis; Structural design; Tar; Thermal expansion
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Geographic Terms: New Jersey
- Old TRIS Terms: Armored edge joints; Dye markers; Elastomer modified tars; End movements
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00145625
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/NJRD75-009-7731Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM