TUNNEL DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS: ANALYSIS OF STRESSES AND DEFORMATIONS AROUND ADVANCING TUNNELS
A truly comprehensive analysis of any ground-tunnel liner interaction problem requires that the three-dimensional nature (geometry, stress and displacement fields) of the problem be considered. This report describes an investigation undertaken to study the complex distribution of stresses and displacements mobilized around and along unlined, partially lined, and completely lined tunnels being advanced through soils of various stress-strain behaviors. Circular tunnels with a depth to diameter ratio of five were considered. The unlined and lined tunnel analyses were divided into three subgroups on the basis of the simulated stress-strain behavior of the soil. One series of analyses considered linear-elastic behavior and involved the consideration of two different elastic modulus values and three different Poisson's ratio values. The soil in a second subgroup was assumed to exhibit elasto-plastic behavior corresponding to a shear strength independent of the mean stress and the angle of shearing resistance. An additional series of elasto-plastic analyses considered soil behavior to be a function of both cohesion and the angle of shearing resistance. The finite element program GEOSYS was used in this investigation. The excavation and construction options of this computer program made it possible to simulate, with a minimum of effort, a tunnel being advanced through an initially stressed ground mass.
- See also PB-240216.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ranken, R E
- Ghaboussi, J
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 164 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Deformation; Dynamics; Elastic analysis; Finite element method; Loads; Plastic analysis; Soil mechanics; Soils; Structural analysis; Structural design; Tunnel lining; Tunnels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Soil dynamics; Tunnel design
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Geotechnology;
- Accession Number: 00145614
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UILU-ENG-75-2016 Final Rpt., FRA/ORD-75-84
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30022
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM