TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS OF THE TRANSPORTATION HANDICAPPED. VOLUME 4. TRANSPORTATION SOLUTIONS FOR THE HANDICAPPED
This report examines transportation solutions for the transportation handicapped (TH) through three broad strategies - public transit, alternative special services, and private transportation. The first section presents 51 physical and operational solutions for existing systems. To aid the TH it is necessary to construct groups of solutions. These are then presented as minimum, medium and maximum accessibility combinations for terminals, urban bus or trolley, rail rapid-transit, and intraurban bus, railroad and air modes. The use of a personal vehicle for the disabled who can learn to drive is described. Four problems of the disabled driver are presented along with data on adaptive controls. Six aspects of specialized transportation services and four principal vehicle types are examined. Twelve possible systems based on different combinations of service characteristics and provider type are described. Finally a description is given of two operating systems, one in Sweden, the other in Delaware.
- Also available in set of 4 reports as PB-258 578-SET, PC E99/MF E99.
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA USA 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 172 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Air transportation; Analysis; Bus lines; Bus transportation; Costs; Drivers; Equipment; Intermodal terminals; Level of service; Management; Mobility; Organizations; Personal rapid transit; Physically handicapped persons; Planning; Policy; Private transportation; Problem solving; Programming (Planning); Railroad transportation; Rapid transit; Social factors; Standard of living; Supply; Systems engineering; Urban transportation; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Availability; Cost analysis; Services; Social welfare
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies; Management planning; Personal transit; Rapid transit railways; Terminal facilities
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Finance; Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00145613
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-06-0092-76-4
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60063
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 2003 12:00AM