TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS OF THE TRANSPORTATION HANDICAPPED. VOLUME 3. ALTERNATIVE PLANNING METHODOLOGIES
This report proposes a general structure for the planning process for dealing with the problems of the transportation handicapped (TH). Flexibility of procedures and the avoidance of unnecessary standardization are emphasized. Planning for the needs of the TH may be incorporated into conventional transit planning or emerge as an independent process. Effective participation by the transportation handicapped and those who serve them (transit and taxi operators, union representatives, local health and social service agencies) is discussed in detail. Use of census data, the National Health Survey, and general population surveys to assess the transportation needs is presented. Procedures for the assessment of current resources and existing constraints are reviewed. Time phasing, plan revision, and system monitoring are also discussed.
- Also available in set of 4 reports as PB-258 578-SET, PC E99/MF E99.
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA USA 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 54 p.
- TRT Terms: Constraints; Cooperation; Data collection; Demographics; Flexibility; Management; Methodology; Natural resources; Needs assessment; Optimization; Organizations; Participatory management; Physically handicapped persons; Planning; Problem solving; Social factors; Standard of living; Standardization; Surveys; Systems analysis; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Revisions; Social welfare; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Management methods; Participative management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00145612
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-06-0092-76-3Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60063
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 2003 12:00AM