TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS OF THE TRANSPORTATION HANDICAPPED. VOLUME 1. THE TRANSPORTATION HANDICAPPED POPULATION, DEFINITION AND COUNTS
Despite an abundance of planning and research literature concerning transportation services for elderly and handicapped individuals, at present no single operational definition of this target group, the transportation handicapped (TH), exists. This report provides a definition of a TH person and attempts to describe the TH population. A review of existing estimates of the urban TH population is presented based on an analysis of four studies. These estimates range from approximately six to nine million persons. A recommended estimation procedure considers three basic categories of the TH population: chronic conditions, acutely disabled, and institutionalized. The travel behavior of the TH population is examined including trip purpose, frequency, residence, choice of mode, and latent demand.
- Also available in set of 4 reports as PB-258 578-SET, PC E99/MF E99.
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA USA 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 105 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Behavior; Classification; Definitions; Demand; Demographics; Distributions (Statistics); Estimates; Mobility; Mode choice; Passenger transportation; Physical handicaps; Physically handicapped persons; Planning; Social factors; Standard of living; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Travel; Travel patterns; Trip purpose; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Social welfare; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal selection
- Subject Areas: Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00145610
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-06-0092-76-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60063
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 2003 12:00AM