AIR BRAKED VEHICLE PERFORMANCE: FMVSS NO. 121 BRAKING SYSTEMS VERSUS PRE-FMVSS NO. 121 BRAKING SYSTEMS AND STABILITY AUGMENTATION DEVICES
Road tests were conducted on 3 truck tractors and 4 semitrailers to evaluate the effects of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 121, Air Brake Systems--Trucks, Buses and Trailers, on braking system performance. Tests were run in accordance with procedures specified in the standard and also in accordance with other test procedures that were developed during the course of the program to simulate typical on-highway emergency situations. The use of three different stability augmentation devices on tractor-trailer combinations was also evaluated to determine if these devices affected vehicle braking performance. The report presents a description of the test program and an analysis of the results.
East Liberty, OH USA 43319
- RADLINSKI, R W
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 307 p.
- TRT Terms: Air brakes; Braking; Buses; Evaluation; Road tests; Simulation; Stability (Mechanics); Tractor trailer combinations; Traffic safety; Trailers; Truck tractors; Vehicle performance
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00145600
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-801-967 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM