WEST COAST CORRIDOR STUDY INTERIM REPORT, JANUARY 1976. PREPARED IN RESPONSE TO SECTION 13 OF THE AMTRAK IMPROVEMENT ACT OF 1974
The report was prepared in response to the High Speed Ground Transportation Act as amended by Section 13 of the Amtrak Improvement Act of 1974 providing an early and realistic understanding of the magnitude and scope of the intercity transportation needs of the West Coast States. The findings include the following: (1) The problems are primarily state and local in character and are largely confined by differing demographic, geographic and travel characteristics to three distinct segments: the southern one-third of the corridor from Tijuana, Mexico to Sacramento, California, the northern one-third from Eugene, Oregon to Vancouver, Canada, and the middle one-third between Sacramento, California and Eugene, Oregon; (2) statewide intermodal transportation planning should be encouraged to achieve a balanced transportation system in the area, and conserve energy resources; (3) the tentative economic social and environmental costs of advanced technology rail passenger systems outweigh the benefits to be achieved based upon population growth rates and the location of that growth.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Thomas, G R
- Winestone, R L
- Publication Date: 1976-3-15
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Demographics; Foreign; High speed rail; Intercity travel; Passenger transportation; Passengers; Planning; Railroads; State departments of transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: California; Canada; Mexico; Oregon; Washington (State)
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00145598
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/RFA-1-76-02 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM