CONSULTATIVE PLANNING CONFERENCE ON AIRCRAFT SEPARATION ASSURANCE: PRESENTATIONS
This document contains the vu-graphs presented at the Consultative Planning Conference of September 27, 1976 on the FAA's Aircraft Separation Assurance Program. The purpose of this conference was to inform and solicit comments from the aviation user groups on the FAA's proposed Aircraft Separation Assurance Program. The first section includes a review and analyses of pertinent statistical information on collisions and collision analyses, major separation assurance objectives, protection priorities, and methods of achieving objectives. The second section, Existing Air Traffic Control System, reviews the procedures and systems being used today related to aircraft separation. The third section, Developmental Approaches, contains information on conflict alert in the terminal environment, Collision Avoidance Systems (CAS) including Airborne CAS (ACAS) and Beacon-Based CAS (BCAS), Intermittent Positive Control (IPC) and Proximity Warning Indicator (PWI) systems. In Comparison of Overlapping Development Programs, the fourth section, information is given concerning FAA's selection of BCAS and IPC as the programs to pursue as well as FAA's decision not to proceed with ACAS and PWI. The final section, the recommended five-point Aircraft Separation Assurance Program, includes the plans, proposed schedules, interrelationships with other programs, cost and present status of (1) conflict alert in the terminal environment, (2) IFR flight Plan requirements (3) transponders and encoding altimeters, (4) BCAS, and (5) IPC.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-9-27
- Pagination: 150 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Airborne navigational aids; Aircraft separation; Avionics; Civil aircraft; Civil aviation; Coding systems; Collision avoidance systems; Midair collisions; Transponders
- Old TRIS Terms: Airborne warning and control system; Coders; Ground to air communications
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00145530
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-AFT-4-76-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM