AN EVALUATION OF THE 1974 AND 1975 RESTRAINT SYSTEMS
In-depth accident investigation programs were conducted specifically to collect data for evaluation of the efficacy of the 1974 and 1975 restraint systems. Stratified random sampling techniques were used to collect data on 1973-1975 American passenger cars in towaway accidents. After eighteen months of field investigation by teams at the Highway Safety Research Institute, Calspan Corporation, and Southwest Research Institute, data were available on 6,729 vehicles and 9,186 outboard-front-seat occupants. Occupants of 1974 cars used restraints substantially more frequently than occupants of 1973 cars. Use of full restraints by these occupants increased by a factor of eight over their use in 1973 cars. Use of the full restraint in 1975 cars was lower than in 1974's, but still more than seven times as great as in 1973 cars. There was no measurable difference in the incidence of moderate or worse injuries in the three model years. Nevertheless, restraint systems in these cars demonstrated as substantial capability to reduce the incidence of moderate or worse injury when they were used. Lap belts alone reduce the probability 27% compared to no restraint. The lap and upper torso belts together reduce the probability 21%, compared to the lap belt alone, and 42 percent, compared to no restraint.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/361122
- Sponsored by Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Scott, R E
- Flora, J D
- Marsh, J C
- Publication Date: 1976-5
- Pagination: 169 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles by type; Crash investigation; Data collection; Manual safety belts; Restraint systems; Sand
- Uncontrolled Terms: Vehicle make
- Old TRIS Terms: Occupant restraint
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00145102
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- ISBN: 361122
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-76-13 Spec. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM