CENTRAL AVALANCHE HAZARD FORECASTING--INTERIM REPORT
This report summarizes the first year of activity under Washington State Department of Highways project Central Avalanche Hazard Forecasting (Agreement Y-1700) to test the feasibility and effectiveness of central avalanche forecasting for the Cascade Mountain Passes and adjacent territory. This project explores the possibilities of improving both mountain weather and related avalanche forecasts for use by the WSDH during winter operations in the mountain passes, and, secondarily, explores the usefulness of an area-wide forecasting service to other, cooperating agencies. The eventual aim of this work is to establish the technical and administrative framework for an operational, on-going mountain weather and avalanche forecasting service for Western Washington under the joint support of interested public agencies.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by Washington State Highway Commission in cooperation with US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
University of Washington, SeattleDepartment of Atmospheric Sciences
Seattle, WA United States 98195
- Lachapelle, E R
- Marriott, R T
- Moore, M B
- Reanier, F W
- Taylor, P L
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Avalanches; Hazards; Mountains; Snow; Weather forecasting
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00144439
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Y-1700
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM