HISTORY OF TRUCK SUSPENSION TANDEM SUSPENSIONS
The paper traces the history of the development of heavy vehicle suspension design, from the four-wheel solid type trucks through the evolution of pneumatic tyres and then the addition of the third axle. Many different types of suspension are illustrated as well as the corresponding drive and trailer axle assemblies. The economics of various present day axle layouts and future developments are also discussed.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Hendrickson, E D
- Publication Date: 1969
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Economic factors; Heavy vehicles; Pneumatic equipment; Suspensions; Tandem axle loads; Tires; Trucks
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic considerations; Pneumatic tire; Tandem axles
- ITRD Terms: 1322: Axle; 9011: Design (overall design); 9013: Development; 255: Economics; 1088: Inland waterway; 1078: Lock (waterway); 1329: Suspension (veh)
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00144435
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE #690096
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM