URBAN CORRIDOR DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM MANHATTAN CBD-NORTH JERSEY CORRIDOR EVALUATION OF EXCLUSIVE BUS LANES
The first demonstration of a contra-flow exclusive bus lane was instituted on New Jersey Interstate - 495. This bus lane provides an east-bound route in the normally westbound median lane of the expressway approach to the Lincoln Tunnel. After opening in December 1970, the 2.5 mile priority access route was used by 8.7 million riders with an average commuting time saving of between 10-25 minutes during the morning peak period. The XBL has improved the travel time of all modes in the eastbound morning peak period. A second demonstration in the Region of contra-flow XBL was opened in October 1971 on the Long Island Expressway from the vicinity of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway westbound to the Queens-Midtown Tunnel. This XBL extends 2 miles on the Long Island Expressway and provides for travel time savings of up to 15 minutes for the 6,500 daily morning peak period riders. The Regional XBL's have been responsible for stemming the progressive downward decline in commuter bus ridership since 1970, but have not encouraged greater use of express bus service into the Midtown CBD. Each demonstration is considered extremely successful as transportation systems management projects. /FHWA/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/R519
- Sponsored by Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Tri-State Regional Planning Commission100 Church Street
New York, NY USA 10007
- Bilbey, R C
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus lanes; Bus priority; Contraflow lanes; Demonstration projects; Ridership; Transportation corridors; Transportation system management; Travel time; Urban growth
- Old TRIS Terms: Urban corridors
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00144141
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- ISBN: R-519
- Report/Paper Numbers: TS-7940 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7778
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 1 1977 12:00AM