IMPLEMENTATION OF THE I-495 BUS PRIORITY TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
The Bus Priority Traffic Management System (TRAMS) on I-495 enables automatic classification of vehicles and distinguishes the buses from the other traffic. With an assumption as to the average number of passengers in each vehicle type, and referring to the speed of the vehicles, the computer calculates a "Passenger - Mile -Rate." Each day this factor is compared with the rate for a target day, when conditions were good, and a performance factor is calculated. Variations in the performance factor are related to causes to identify steps which might be taken to improve passenger service. In general, bus operations on I-495 receive a high level of service through the exclusive bus lane. Delays, however, do become evident during the morning peak as buses approach the Lincoln Tunnel Toll Plaza. Development of Automatic Vehicle Identification for buses to allow non-stop toll collection is being pursued by the Port Authority on a related project and will provide an important step in reducing these delays. However, additional traffic control steps are desirable to insure free movement through the tunnel and into the bus terminal. An overall traffic display for control personnel at the Lincoln Tunnel Police Desk is recommended to assist this movement. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey225 Park Avenue South, 18th Floor
New York, NY United States 10003-1604
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 181 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus priority; Passenger miles; Tolls; Traffic control; Traffic lanes; Transportation operations; Vehicle classification
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00144113
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: TS-7930-I-495 SURV. Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7778
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 1 1977 12:00AM