NATIONAL INTERMODAL NETWORK FEASIBILITY STUDY. VOLUME I THROUGH IV--PART I
This is the first of a two part series comprising the National Intermodal Network Feasibility Study. Part I contains Volumes I thru IV, and Part II, Appendices 1 thru 4. Volume I is the Executive Summary. Volume II describes the current environment in which various land transportation modes compete for the movement of containerizable freight. It also describes the current patterns of operations of the significant land modes and presents an analysis of their service and economic capabilities. Special attention is given to a discussion of intermodal terminal operations. Finally, the report suggests opportunities for improvement of intermodal operations. Volume III presents the procedures and findings of the study phases that developed a network operating plan. It then compares the service and economic capabilities of an improved intermodal network with similar capabilities of efficient operations of competing modes. And finally it describes the network operations that were developed. Volume IV assesses the feasibility of a Nationwide Intermodal Network by reviewing the operating implications developed earlier. It compares these requirements with the capabilities of today's carriers. It then seeks to evaluate the financial feasibility, cash flow and investment requirement, which are of paramount concern in judging the reasonableness of this transportation alternative. The volume concludes with an examination of alternative organizational and management concepts.
Reebie (Robert) and Associates, IncorporatedP.O. Box 1436, 200 Railroad Avenue
Greenwich, CT USA 06830
- Reebie, R S
- Ainsworth, D P
- LIBA, C J
- Riker, J B
- Keale, M J
- Urba, C E
- Publication Date: 1976-5
- Pagination: 420 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Containerization; Cost accounting; Economic analysis; Freight transportation; Intermodal terminals; Intermodal transportation; Mode choice; Network analysis (Planning); Profitability; Quality of service; Traffic managers; Transportation modes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shippers
- Old TRIS Terms: Intermodal operations
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00144095
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-76/2.I Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-20065
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM