NATIONAL INTERMODAL NETWORK FEASIBILITY STUDY. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This report is Volume I of the series comprising the National Intermodal Network Feasibility Study. Titles of the four volumes and four appendices of the report are: Volume I - Executive Summary; Volume II - Intercity Freight Transportation; Volume III - Developing a Nationwide Intermodal Network; Volume IV - The Feasibility of a Nationwide Intermodal Network; Appendix 1 - The Intermodal Freight Transportation Market; Appendix 2 - Transportation Cost Analysis; Appendix 3 - Network Perspectives: Train, Link and Terminal Descriptions; Appendix 4 - Intermodal Terminal Manual. In summary fashion this volume presents the physical nature of the nationwide intermodal Network developed as a result of the analysis in terms of train operating patterns, link usage, terminal characteristics and railcar equipment. Based upon these components the report describes a possible pattern of traffic and investment growth during its beginning period and suggests the probable revenue and costs implications. Based upon this single start-up scenario a series of shipper, public and carrier benefits are described. This volume concludes with comments concerning the opportunities for technological improvements in a rail/truck intermodal operation.
- This four volume report comes in three sections, an Executive Summary, Volumes I-IV, and Appendices I-IV.
Reebie (Robert) and Associates, IncorporatedP.O. Box 1436, 200 Railroad Avenue
Greenwich, CT USA 06830
- Ainsworth, D P
- Keale, M J
- Riker, J B
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Container on flat car; Containerization; Cost accounting; Economic analysis; Freight transportation; Intermodal terminals; Intermodal transportation; Mode choice; Network analysis (Planning); Piggyback transportation; Profitability; Quality of service; Rail marine interface; Traffic; Traffic managers; Transportation modes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shippers
- Old TRIS Terms: Intermodal operations; Intermodal traffic analysis
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00144094
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD 76/2 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-20065
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1977 12:00AM