CONFERENCE PAPERS ON ADVANCE FREIGHT SYSTEM TECHNOLOGY: "AMERICA'S" FREIGHT SYSTEM IN THE 80'S AND 90'S...BUT HOW TO GET THERE?"
These papers relating to technology and freight transportation have been prepared for the conference on America's Freight System in the 80's and 90's. It does not purport to be a compendium on all advanced freight technology but is to give an overview of problems and possibilities. The chapters: Forces of Change in Transportation; Testimony before the Subcommittee on Aviation and Transportation R&D; Intercity Transportation- Air Freight Transportation; A View of Air Freight Developments in the Next Decade; Software Technology and the Quantum Leap; Cargo Aircraft Technology in the Context of Economics; TRAILS--A New Concept in Freight and Passenger Transport; Outlook for Pneumatic Pipelines; International Steam Coal: The New Energy Competitor; Research Opportunities for Railroad Information Systems, 1975-1990; Rail Terminal Information Systems; Southern Pacific's Car Activity System (CAS); The Future Trends in Railroad Motive Power in the United States; Air Cushion Technology Contributions to America's Future Freight Systems; Federal Highway Administration Research Effort for Assessing the Economic and Safety Implications of Increased Truck Size and Weight Limits.
- Presented at a Conference sponsored by the US Department of Transportation, Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts, December 1-2, 1976. See also individual papers, RRIS 11 157946 and 20 157947, 7702.
Harbridge House, Incorporated11 Arlington Street
Boston, MA United States 02116
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Publication Date: 1976-12-1
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 244 p.
- TRT Terms: Air cushion vehicles; Air transportation; Competition; Computer programs; Development; Diesel electric locomotives; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Horsepower; Information systems; Intelligent transportation systems; Management information systems; Motor carriers; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Railroad electrification; Railroad transportation; Research; Technological forecasting; Technology; Transportation modes; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Air cushion landing system; Cargo transportation; Motive power; Yard and terminal information systems
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Freight Transportation; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Pipelines; Railroads; Research; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00144087
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-0ST-77-S
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1276
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 1 1977 12:00AM