INFORMATION ON LOAN GUARANTEE PROGRAMS UNDER THE RAIL PASSENGER SERVICE ACT AND THE REGIONAL RAIL REORGANIZATION ACT
This is a report on DOT loan guarantee programs administered under the Rail Passenger Service Act of 1970 and the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973. Amtrak had guaranteed obligations, loans and "leveraged" leases, estimated to be about $425 million by the end of fiscal 1975. Amtrak could not be expected to retire its guaranteed debt in the near future and proposed capital improvements total about $2 billion over a 5-year period. Annual operating deficits were projected to increase through 1979. The mechanisms of leveraged leases for financing of new rolling stock and the implications of this procedure on federal financing are discussed. As of the date of the report, no loans had yet been made under the Regional Rail Reorganization Act.
- Corporate Authors:
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Deficits; Equipment leasing; Financial capital; Financing; Government funding; Leasing; Operating costs; Policy
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies; Regional rail reorganization act
- Subject Areas: Finance; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00144084
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Comptroller General of the United States
- Report/Paper Numbers: RED-75-329
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 1 1977 12:00AM