IN-SERVICE PERFORMANCE AND COSTS OF METHODS FOR CONTROL OF URBAN RAIL SYSTEM NOISE. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN
This report presents an experimental design for a project to evaluate four techniques for reducing wheel-rail noise on urban rail transit systems: (a) resilient wheels, (b) damped wheels, (c) wheel truing, and (d) rail griding. The design presents the project questions to be answered: (1) What reduction in noise can be achieved by the techniques, individually and in combinations? (2) What are the costs of the techniques? The design gives data requirements for acoustic testing on the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority Market-Frankford Line, as well as requirements for collection of non-acoustic data covering all United States rapid transit systems. It prescribes methods for analysis of the data, means for drawing inferences to answer the questions posed, and formats for presentation. The design requires that the findings of the completed study be presented in a manner such that the information can be used by transit system personnel who may not have a background in acoustics or cost analysis.
- Record URL:
- Work sponsored by UMTA, DOT.
De Leuw, Cather and Company121 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA United States 19107
Wilson, Ihrig and Associates5776 Broadway
Oakland, CA United States 94618
- Holowaty, M C
- Saurenman, H J
- Rosen, S M
- Publication Date: 1976-5
- Pagination: 100 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Car wheels (Railroads); Cost effectiveness; Damping (Engineering); Light rail transit; Noise; Noise control; Rail grinding; Railroads; Rapid transit; Sound level; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Resilient wheels; Wheel damping; Wheel truing
- Subject Areas: Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00144068
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0025-764 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1053
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1981 12:00AM