REVIEW AND ANALYSIS OF METHODS EMPLOYED IN CALCULATING LOADS FOR TUNNEL CASTINGS IN CRAGGY ROCK MOUNTAINS AND THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE PROCEDURES IN INVESTIGATING LOADS IN THE FIELD
This review of methods employed in calculating loads for casings for rock tunnels, discusses rock pressure and loads on tunnel casings, and describes normative methods, engineering-geological methods, construction mechanics methods, flow mechanics (solid medium), experimental methods based on simulation, statistical methods, and analytical methods for determining loads on the reinforcements of horizontal installations (excavations). The choice of a basic line of research for the process of formation and development of loads on tunnel casings sorrounded by rock is also discussed. The basic principles are set forth of the methodology of large-scale research on the formation and development of loads on tunnel casings in strong rock. This covers the determination of physiomechanical characteristics of rocks; research on stressed state of a massif; research on deformation and displacements of a massif; observations of the condition of the working face and the surface of the excavation, determination of stresses in the cross-sections of frame constructions of the temporary reinforcement, and their total deformation and displacement; the determination of stresses in the cross sections of concrete tunnel casings and of local and total deformation; observations of the conditions of casings; the determination of contact stresses in the layer between casing and rock; and the organization of research on two experimental sections of tunnels.
- This report on the subject of Soviet-American Scientific- Technical Cooperation (no. 2.1) has been translated into English by the Office of International Programs, TPI-40, DOT.
Ministry of Transport ConstructionAll-Union Scientific-Research Inst of Transport Construction
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Calculation; Casings; Field studies; Loads; Mountains; Reinforcement (Engineering); Research; Rocks; Tunnels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation
- Old TRIS Terms: Casings (Materials); Field investigations
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Highways; Research;
- Accession Number: 00144051
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 22 1976 12:00AM