LORAN-C CONCEPTUAL ANALYSIS
Terrestrial applications of LORAN-C, a radio navigation system, operated and maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard, are investigated with respect to Operational, Technical, Economic, and Social factors. Data obtained from interviews conducted with representatives of local government, state agencies, and private industry yielded applications which are distributed into three major categories: Automatic Vehicle Monitoring (i.e., monitor in real-time the locations of police vehicles to determine the nearest vehicle to a crime scene), Automatic Vehicle Location or Dispatch (i.e., send an emergency vehicle to an LORAN-C determined location), and Site Registration (i.e., determine and record the location of traffic accidents or violations). Site location accuracy needs vary from 15.2 meters (50 ft) to 152.4 meters (500 ft). Premised on (1) present and planned transmitter configurations and (2) present estimates of equipment costs, it is believed that LORAN-C can satisfy a substantial number of these identified needs. Finally, recommendations for a demonstration program are presented.
- Prepared in cooperation with Polhemus Navigation Sciences, Inc., Burlington, Vt.
New York State Department of Motor VehiclesGovernor Nelson A Rockefeller Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY United States 12228
Polhemus Navigation Sciences, IncorporatedBurlington, VT United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 89 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vehicle identification; Automatic vehicle monitoring; Automation; Communication systems; Costs; Equipment; Ground vehicles; Location; Loran; Mineral aggregates; Monitoring; Position fixing; Radio; Systems analysis; Utilization
- Old TRIS Terms: Concept formation; Equipment cost; Tracking position
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00144001
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-801-052 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01234
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 15 1977 12:00AM