COLLISION AVOIDANCE RADAR BRAKING SYSTEMS INVESTIGATION. PHASE II STUDY. VOLUME I. SUMMARY REPORT
An instrumented test automobile equipped with an automatic/noncooperative radar brake system was used to gather and classify experimental data on radar false alarms as a function of various radar system parameters such as: detection range cut off (RCO), antenna beamwidth, range delay and vehicle velocity. The test vehicle was driven over three roadways under actual traffic conditions within the metropolitan area of Detroit, Michigan. The roadways typify much of the high density, high speed, urban and suburban driving in the United States. Results of the test program showed that both the detection range cut off and antenna beamwidth have a pronounced effect upon the false alarm problem; the range delay and vehicle velocity are of secondary importance. Analytical analyses were also performed to determine the effects of radar design parameters such as beamwidth and frequency on rain clutter and radar detection probability for three target classifications ranging from pedestrians to full size passenger cars. A computer simulation program was employed to evaluate the system cost-effectiveness of 36 system configurations.
- See also PB-237 546.
Bendix Research Laboratories2800 Ten and One-Half Mile Road
Southfield, MI United States 48076
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Wong, R E
- Faris, W R
- Grierson, W O
- Troll, W C
- Powell, Y M
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Antennas; Automatic control; Automobiles; Braking; Cost effectiveness; Crash avoidance systems; Crashes; Data collection; Dynamic braking; Factor analysis; Field tests; Performance evaluations; Prevention; Radar; Radar devices; Range (Statistics); Range (Vehicles); Safety; Safety engineering; Simulation; Testing; Velocity; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental data; Revisions
- Old TRIS Terms: Beam width; Radar target designators; Range extremes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00143997
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: RLD-8035-Vol-1 Final Rpt., HS-802 019
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00913
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 15 1977 12:00AM