FORT LAUDERDALE SELECTIVE TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM FINAL EVALUATION
The report contains an evaluation of the Fort Lauderdale Selective Traffic Enforcement Program. There were two components to the STEP: (1) use of trained civilian employees to investigate traffic accidents, and (2) use of a uniformed task force in selective enforcement. The use of civilians to investigate accidents is an idea that has been frequently discussed but never completely tested. The Fort Lauderdale project demonstrated that the concept is viable and operationally feasible. The evaluation showed that training of civilians was a key element. Once trained, the civilians performed better traffic accident investigations and wrote better reports than their police counterparts. The second part of the Fort Lauderdale project involved the formation of a STEP Task Force which conducted five experiments. Results were mixed as to impact on traffic accidents.
- Prepared in cooperation with Fort Lauderdale City Police Dept., Fla.
PRC Public Management Services, Incorporated7600 Old Springhouse Road
McLean, VA United States 22101
Fort Lauderdale City Police DepartmentFort Lauderdale, FL United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
- FRANCIS, D
- McEwen, T
- LYNN, P
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 306 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholic beverages; Blood analysis; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crashes; Education; Law enforcement; Police; Public participation; Research; Selection and appointment; Specialized training; Statistical analysis; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Enforcement; Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: Florida
- Old TRIS Terms: Blood chemical analysis; Civilian personnel
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society;
- Accession Number: 00143976
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-801-955 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-259-2-463
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 15 1977 12:00AM