SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA SELECTIVE TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM
The report presents an evaluation of the Sacramento, California Selective Traffic Enforcement Program. The Sacramento STEP involved seven different experiments. The most significant was enforcement for driving under the influence (DUI) which was a continuing experiment over the life of the project. The evaluation revealed an exact correlation between fatal accidents and the times of DUI enforcement. Other countermeasures tested under the Sacramento STEP were patrol, radar and fixed point efforts. As part of the evaluation effort a mathematical model was also developed. Another part of the Sacramento STEP was the development of judges' conferences. These conferences were meetings with representatives of the police, prosecution and judicial elements of the traffic system. These meetings were very effective in improving the system and alleviating problems that previously existed.
- Prepared in cooperation with PRC Information Sciences Co., McLean, Va.
Sacramento City Police DepartmentSacramento, CA USA
PRC Information Sciences Company7600 Old Springhouse Road
McLean, VA USA 22101
Washington, DC USA 20590
- McEwen, T
- Brazil, F
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholic beverages; Blood analysis; Collisions; Countermeasures; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Drunk driving; Fatalities; Law enforcement; Laws; Mathematical models; Project management; Research; Traffic crashes; Traffic regulations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Traffic laws
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Blood chemical analysis
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00143971
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-801-982 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-109-1-155
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 15 1977 12:00AM