MULTI-DISCIPLINARY ACCIDENT INVESTIGATIONS - SPECIAL STUDY OF ACTIVE AND PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS IN 1973-1976 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES. VOLUME 1. RESTRAINT SYSTEMS EFFECTIVENESS PROGRAM
Volume 1 contains the methodology, findings, conclusions, and recommendations for the study. Field data were collected from April 1, 1974 to December 31, 1975. The primary objective of the restraint system evaluation program was to estimate the true injury-reducing effect of lapbelts and lap and shoulder belts. In the Texas study area, 12.2 percent of the unrestrained occupants, 6.2 percent of those wearing lapbelts only, and 4.8 percent of those wearing both lap and shoulder belts sustained injuries. SwRI found that lapbelts were 49.7 percent more effective in reducing injuries than no belts, lap and shoulder belts were 61.1 percent more effective in such cases, and lap and shoulder belts were 22.6 percent more effective than only lapbelts. The study includes: Volume 2-In-Depth Investigations of ACRS, Control Group, and Schoolbus Accidents; Volume 3-Data Summaries for Restraint System Effectiveness Program; Volume 4-Forms, Codebooks, and Computer Programs.
- Also available in set of 4 reports as PB-257 433-SET, PC$24.00 and MF$6.00.
Washington, DC United States 20590
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX United States 78228-0510
- Cromack, J R
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 63 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crashes; Human factors engineering; Information processing; Injuries; Manual safety belts; Passive restraint systems; Research; School buses; Seat belts; Traffic crashes; Vehicle occupancy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00143937
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SwRI-11-3075(1) Final Rpt., DOT-HS-801-973
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-024-1-115
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 1 1977 12:00AM