SURFACE TREATMENT STUDY
This report includes a study of past highway surface treatment in Georgia; recommended revision to specifications; describes current construction methods and techniques; identifies problem areas; and recommends ways to improve construction. The appendix includes a Surface Treatment Construction Manual and Training Program outline. The major problems are identified as streaking and bleeding and an investigation into the causes of these problems was made. Three types of bituminous materials were used on surface treatment projects in an attempt to evaluate asphalt pavement types. A test method for uniformity of asphalt application is proposed and preliminary results are presented.
- Prepared in cooperation with Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C.
Georgia Department of TransportationOne Georgia Center
600 West Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA USA 30308
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Mills, W H
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 223 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt pavements; Bituminous coatings; Bituminous materials; Concrete finishing; Defects; Flexible pavements; Highways; Maintenance; Manuals; Performance tests; Quality control; Seal coats; Specifications; Surface treating; Wear
- Geographic Terms: Georgia
- Old TRIS Terms: Ba
- Subject Areas: Construction; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00143934
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/RD/M-0316 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 1 1977 12:00AM