COMPREHENSIVE TRANSIT STUDY. THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA
The purpose of the study is to formulate and evaluate alternative transportation concepts which would provide internal circulation within the University of South Carolina (in Columbia) complex. Such a system would serve both university and non-university persons. The planning efforts made in the study relate to overall transportation system planning for the Columbia area. Demographic information, coupled with interviews of students, faculty, and staff, provided descriptive measures of the university population. A recommended plan was developed which encouraged a pedestrian environment for the campus area integrated with highway improvements and key fringe parking facilities. Access to parking areas and circulation within the campus is to be provided initially by mini-buses, eventually, as long-range demand criteria are satisfied, automated Personal Rapid Transit systems are recommended. Interface with the surrounding community and its transportation facilities, existing as well as planned, is accomplished at all levels of development.
- Prepared by Smith (Wilbur) and Associates, Columbia, S.C.
Central Midlands Regional Planning CouncilColumbia, SC United States
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 165 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; City planning; Communities; Demographics; Interviewing; Minibuses; Neighborhoods; Park and ride; Parking facilities; Pedestrians; Personal rapid transit; Public relations; Routes; Transportation planning; Universities and colleges; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: South Carolina
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00143928
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-SC-09-0002-74-1
- Contract Numbers: SC-09-0002
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 1 1981 12:00AM