SUBSURFACE INVESTIGATION, SECTION F003, BRANCH ROUTE
Results are summarized of thirteen supplementary borings made at the location of sewer crossings on M street in southeast Washington, District of Columbia and at selected locations within the Washington Naval Shipyard. The borings were performed to investigate conditions at the planned crossing of the subway tunnels beneath the M Street sewers and to ascertain the character of deep bearing strata for high-load underpinning piles to be installed within the Navy Yard. The report contains geological sections incorporating the new borings, logs of these borings, results of laboratory tests on soil samples obtained and a discussion of anticipated design and construction problems. This investigation is for the Washington Area Metro System.
- Sponsored in part by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, D.C.
Mueser, Rutlege, Wentworth and Johnston415 Madison Avenue
New York, NY United States 10314
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority600 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1976-7-14
- Pagination: 56 p.
- TRT Terms: Boring; Excavation and tunneling; Foundations; Geological surveying; Laboratory tests; Metropolitan areas; Piles (Supports); Rock mechanics; Routes; Structural design; Subways; Tunneling; Tunnels; Underground structures
- Identifier Terms: Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tunnel design
- Geographic Terms: Maryland; Virginia; Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Subsurface explorations; Subway railways; Tunnel excavation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Highways; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00143760
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MRWJ-76-148, Rept. No. 8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 17 1981 12:00AM